Thursday, October 15, 2009

A lesson to my student - A lesson to myself...

Today in one of my classes a student was teasing an other student which caused her to start crying.:(
I personally never liked when people made fun of others and gain the attention of the class/group. Even though I was not teased or bullied it always made me uncomfortable. So I asked Jordan (my student) , 'How would you feel if someone made fun of you in front of everyone, how would that make you feel? You would be hurt right?'. And as soon as I made him picture himself instead of the girl (Joanne) he apologized. It reminded me something very important. He is just a second grader, who is learning about life, relations, and how life can be hard if your friends do not help you out. But even in older ages, I specially remember my adolescent years when I kept repeating to my friends and family that 'You have to treat to others in the way that you want to be treated' . It has not changed, I still need to remind my self and everyone around me that what ever we do, we say, first we have to tell/do it to our selves and see how we feel.
Student teaching is a different experience where I am a student and at the same time a teacher, not much experienced teacher. Somethings that I do or say in the classroom reminds me of my mom a lot. She is one of those mothers who does not have to work hard for disciplining her children or their friends. Her looks would tell what she is asking from you and you would not have any other chance but to do what ever you are asked (some times, even her own friends children would be a victim of her looks). Whenever I come together with my childhood friends this is what we remember, we used to call her 'The Witch Mom', which she actually would use herself also and she enjoyed being The Witch Mom. My cooperative teacher today told me that it is good for me to be firm with kids cause they need some firmness but I should also enjoy my time with them... This pretty much reminded me of my mom, how she is a tough but loving and tendering woman at the same time. I have too much to learn...
Everyday an new lesson for my students, and for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment